grouper-dev - RE: [grouper-dev] early work on RESTful groups service interface

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

RE: [grouper-dev] early work on RESTful groups service interface

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: RL 'Bob' Morgan <>, Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-dev] early work on RESTful groups service interface
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 22:31:56 -0500

That is an impressive amount of work for 2 hours, and good information.
Thanks.

Gary also mentioned that REST typically uses the various HTTP methods (PUT,
DELETE, etc), as in your discussion notes.

I am hoping we can just use what Axis2 does for REST which is the other more
loosely defined REST strategy (described in second paragraph):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Representational_State_Transfer

According to this Axis2 supports GET and POST and does RPC type requests

http://ws.apache.org/axis2/0_94/rest-ws.html

I would think the amount of work to code and manage a client should be the
roughly the same if the params are URL params and not an input XML (let me
know if I am missing something).
Let me know if we need to discuss this, otherwise I will proceed.

I do like the idea of putting in strategies to allow change without changing
the wsdl (e.g. how strict REST can return XHTML, and if the XHTML changes
slightly, it might not break an existing client). At Penn we do loose-REST,
and pass in some unused param names and values reserved for future use (a lot
of protocols do this). So I will think about how this could work, and if you
object to this, also let me know.

Ps. Option #1 (grouper-ws in different project as ui, with separate library
versions) in the previous email is in the lead for the vote tally...