grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Quick start for Oracle, subject source, error handing, subject default queries, result list, paging

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Quick start for Oracle, subject source, error handing, subject default queries, result list, paging

  • From: Tom Barton <>
  • To: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Quick start for Oracle, subject source, error handing, subject default queries, result list, paging
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 07:22:48 -0600

GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing wrote:
--On 10 November 2007 14:10 -0500 Chris Hyzer <> wrote:
Question 2: What is the standard for exception handling? Can we rethrow
this sql exception, it could be wrapped in a RuntimeException or
subclass, (and maybe look for other cases of this if it is not the
standard)? I think it is good when things don't work that it is brought
to the attention of users. If there's a reason to not rethrow, then at
least can we log as error?

This could definitely be improved. I'm not sure we have a standard, other than in the API there are quite a few specific exceptions and there is no reason for the Subject API to have some.

I'm afraid to say that the UI doesn't really have any Exception handling or logging strategy - something which I ought to change.

Although it would be good to have some uniformity for expressed log levels across the integrated i2mi components, I don't know that it's necessary to pass exceptions around among them. Perhaps a review of as-packaged log4j.properties files would be in order instead? That should allow a given integration of i2mi components to create appropriate log files. In fact, perhaps a single log4j.properties file that captures an agreed-upon log level for each component should accompany each distribution.