grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] potential interim work-around for browsing Duke's registry

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] potential interim work-around for browsing Duke's registry

  • From: Tom Barton <>
  • To: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • Cc: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] potential interim work-around for browsing Duke's registry
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 15:50:37 -0500

Thanks. I've created GRP-52 to track this. -Tom

GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing wrote:
I'll have a go at creating a pluggable interface for vetoing menu items and produce an implementation which can veto based on Group membership.

Gary

--On 17 October 2007 14:48 -0500 Tom Barton

On the call today I took an AI to dig out Gary's suggested approach for a
work around to deploy at Duke to prevent the UI from letting TAadmins
choose a path through the UI that is frustratingly slow, ie, to
selectively disable the Manage Groups task. Hre's the gist of what Gary
wrote.

This idea will need to be elaborated into an actual code change so that
it can be evaluated for suitability. Shilen, is that up your alley, or is
that more yours, Gary?

Tom

on 7/14/2007 Gary wrote:
> [AI] {Gary} will share an email with the list giving an idea of how to
> modify menu items based on who you are and which groups you belong to.

The UI customisation guide on the Wiki gives an overview:
<https://wiki.internet2.edu/confluence/display/GrouperWG/Customizing+the+
Grouper+UI+v1.0#CustomizingtheGrouperUIv1.0-menu> however, the url will
change with the official release of Version 1.2.

Basically, subclass PrepareMenuAction and override the method:

protected boolean isValidMenuItem(Map item,GrouperSession
grouperSession,HttpServletRequest request)

- put your logic first but if not returning false, delegate to the super
class.

In order to have the UI use the PrepareMenuAction subclass you must
override / replace the prepareMenu.do action config in struts-config.xml.

GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing