grouper-dev - RE: [grouper-dev] Grouper design call, Wednesday, 8 August 2007, 1200EDT (1600Z)

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

RE: [grouper-dev] Grouper design call, Wednesday, 8 August 2007, 1200EDT (1600Z)

  • From: "Cramton, James" <>
  • To: "Grouper Dev" <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-dev] Grouper design call, Wednesday, 8 August 2007, 1200EDT (1600Z)
  • Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 12:32:19 -0400

Sorry I've been absent from the Grouper proceedings lately. I've been a
preoccupied with the fall semester release of Grouper here at Brown, and
some more important things:

http://tinyurl.com/2erals

I'll be out of the office some during the next few weeks, but I'll be in
the calls when I can.

Any ideas what the anticipated release schedule for these changes will
be? We're planning to go live with 1.2.0 code, but it'd be good to have
an idea of when we should plan to bring the upcoming release(s) into the
fold. It's worth noting that we are now impacted by the same "TAAdmins"
performance issues that Duke brought up. But we can use a gsh script to
add users to our grouper managers group, and we do not expect to add
many users to this group after the initial load of less than a dozen
instructional technology staff.

Our progress on Brown's Grouper 1.2.0 implementation has gone well, in
that way that it must if we are to have the infrastructure in place in
the beginning of September. We've finished unit testing, just pieced
together the various parts of our person and group provisioning system,
and we're focused on deploying to QA and production environments in the
next week or two. We're also working to train our instructional
technology folks who will be our first users. We are also still awaiting
a hardware upgrade to our LDAP servers to relocate the logs and DB to
the SAN to alleviate a disk i/o bottleneck during the LDAPpc run.

Currently in our test environment, our entire person and group
provisioning process runs in 4 hours for an average number of updates (<
100 person additions, modifications, and deletions, and < 100 group
membership additions, modifications, and deletions). Person provisioning
from feeds to our LDAP registry constitutes 1.5 hours of that time, and
LDAPpc takes 2 hours to complete once other miscelanneous tasks
complete. For now, this performance is acceptable. We are hoping to see
enough performance improvement from the disk upgrade that we can also
schedule an hourly LDAPpc run between normal business hours, so ad hoc
changes to group membership by our instructional technology staff are
reflected in the downstream systems in a more or less timely manner.

I'll keep you all posted on how it goes. Currently, our greatest
concerns, as always, are training and policy issues, more than technical
issues. We can find solutions to technical issues, but getting the right
people to take the upcoming changes seriously before students show up
continues to be a challenge.

James Cramton
Lead Programmer/Analyst
Brown University