grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Action Items: Grouper WG call, 18-Apr-07

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Action Items: Grouper WG call, 18-Apr-07

  • From: "blair christensen." <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Action Items: Grouper WG call, 18-Apr-07
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 09:23:04 -0500
  • Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth; b=G4cEYEMs1FPyB1J/dJPC618tcSeqw8k69vANYUG8zg8Grujhlr/8G4YtL7U24tSxzGLIM9CK5ZDo7o7ihd11r+ppg846oJ51lffLltiN+oXa+rR2b4YbSRjgNBabPCFqaHDsRzJd8B7yq1aa4nrMwTWFrjva29dAqSpU7cA9fh0=

On 4/18/07, Jessica Bibbee
Carry-Over *Action Items*
[AI] {Blair} will send an email to the Group explaining his thoughts how an
extension framework fits into Grouper.

Here is a link to the latest "ext/README.txt"[0] from HEAD.

The goal was to allow code that a) is not necessarily part of the core
API but b) depends upon the API and c) might be updated more
frequently than the API to be built-and-distributed in a somewhat
consistent manner.

I doubt that the current implementation is complete and bug-free but
for the current use cases (all my own, currently) it effectively works
while (hopefully) not putting too much of a burden on those using it.
It also has the added bonus that it should work for both Java *and*
JRuby extensions.

[AI] {Blair} will share the performance profiling tools that he is using
with the Group.

I've been using Shark [1] and YourKit [2]. Shark is OSX-only and is
part of Apple's CHUD toolkit. I've only recently acquired YourKit so
Shark is still my default tool. In addition, Shark provides *less*
information so it can sometimes be more useful than YourKit and all of
its distracting shiny bits. However, I imagine once I've grown more
familiar with YourKit I will come to prefer it.

[0]:
<http://viewvc.internet2.edu/viewvc.py/grouper/ext/README.txt?revision=1.1&root=I2MI&view=markup>
[1]: <http://developer.apple.com/tools/sharkoptimize.html>
[2]: <http://www.yourkit.com/overview/index.jsp>

  • Re: [grouper-dev] Action Items: Grouper WG call, 18-Apr-07, blair christensen., 05/02/2007