grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] UML Tools Survey

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] UML Tools Survey

  • From: Kathryn Huxtable <>
  • To: Dave Donnelly <>, Signet Dev <>, Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] UML Tools Survey
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 12:20:12 -0500

Title: Re: [grouper-dev] UML Tools Survey
My comments are included. -K

On 3/30/07 12:00 PM, "Dave Donnelly" <> wrote:

I conducting an informal survey about which UML tools people
are using and some indication of suitability.

I am currently using Jude-Community from Change Vision
(http://jude.change-vision.com/jude-web/index.html). On a
scale of A to F, I would give it a C+. It's easy to use
but does not support round-trip engineering. Also the
print capability is rather limited. However, the free
version does most of the things I require.

Only runs on Windows.

Other tools I have used:

Rational Rose from IBM
link: http://www-306.ibm.com/software/awdtools/developer/rose/index.html
grade (A-F): A
comments: Excellent UML tool if you can afford it. The last time I used
it was about 5 years ago.

Only runs on Windows.

EclipseUML from Omondo
link: http://www.omondo.com/
grade: B- and falling
comments: Nice integration with Eclipse IDE (I use Eclipse).
Stopped using it because as new free versions were released, they
started removing more and more functionality. Also, EclipseUML
was _very_ sensitive to versions of other Eclipse plugins making
it difficult to upgrade either. The last time I used it was
about 2 years ago.

TogetherJ from Borland
link: http://www.borland.com/us/products/together/index.html
grade: (not enough experience with the product)
comments: I used this briefly about 4 years ago. It seems to be
on par with Rational Rose in functionality and price.

ArgoUml
link: http://argouml.tigris.org/
grade: (see comments)
comments: I could not get ArgoUML to run reliably on either of 2
computers. Not only did it crash, it required a power-down/reboot
to recover (and just to set the record straight, this occurred on
both Windows and Linux). Used it about 4 years ago.

Wow! I had no idea you had that much trouble. I have been running it on a Mac and haven’t had any serious problems. Its user interface could be more functional.

Poseidon from Gentleware
link: http://www.gentleware.com/
grade: C+
comments: This is a commercial product based on ArgoUML but a free
version is available. Not as buggy as ArgoUML. Round-trip engineering
is supported using comment blocks. This can cause problems if you use
other development tools (e.g. Eclipse's Java comment generation tool).

Does this do anything other than class diagrams? I couldn’t find it.

-K

  • UML Tools Survey, Dave Donnelly, 03/30/2007
    • Re: [grouper-dev] UML Tools Survey, Kathryn Huxtable, 03/30/2007