grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] question about subjectids

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] question about subjectids

  • From: Tom Barton <>
  • To: Kathryn Huxtable <>
  • Cc: Joy Veronneau <>,
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] question about subjectids
  • Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 09:36:31 -0500

I don't believe there is any character set restriction for subjectIds imposed by the Subject API.

I'm pretty sure that for Grouper stems and groups the only restriction on the "extension" and "displayExtension" attributes is that they must not contain a ':' character. Hopefully blair can confirm this when he returns.

From the beginning we've intended that the separator character used to form "name" and "displayName" attributes from their "extension" and "displayExtension" components would be configurable, but we've never gotten around to making that happen. But in case we ever do, the restriction on "extension" and "displayExtension" is that they omit the separator character.

Tom

Kathryn Huxtable wrote:
Ah yes, proof by example with the current instantiation of the code.

Isn't there somewhere where the valid characters in a stem, group, or
subject name are listed?

-K

On 8/31/06 10:46 AM, "Tom Barton"

Should be no problem at all. To double-check, I added a subject in one
of my identity stores with such an subjectId - works fine.

Tom

Joy Veronneau wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering if it will be acceptable to have a "/" (forward slash)
character as part of a subjectID? I am thinking of the case of a keytab
which has the format
"name/instance@REALM".
I can't find anything in
the Grouper docs that says this wouldn't work but I just want to double
check :)

Thanks!

Joy