grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Grouper interoperability with Liberty Alliance's People Service

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Grouper interoperability with Liberty Alliance's People Service

  • From: "RL 'Bob' Morgan" <>
  • To: Erik Vullings <>
  • Cc: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Grouper interoperability with Liberty Alliance's People Service
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 01:06:01 -0800 (PST)

I'm not sure what the useful intersection would be. Grouper has a UI and database, but doesn't at this point have a protocol interface; group info managed in Grouper would be exported to a directory or other system for consumption by apps. The People Service, among other things, defines WSDL for group management, so perhaps supporting that interface in Grouper would be useful. I suspect a real People Service implementation would require a lot functionality than Grouper provides (ie, more than just groups stuff), so I don't know if supporting this interface would actually accomplish much. People Service of course is a brand new thing, and is targeted at supporting the brave new world of social software. Grouper I would say is much more traditional and modest in scope. But this may be something to look at in the future.

- RL "Bob"