grouper-dev - Web Service query for Grouper

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Web Service query for Grouper

  • From: Joy Veronneau <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Web Service query for Grouper
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 09:28:41 -0500

Hi,

Here's a short explanation of my Web Service for Grouper experience....

The goal of this experiment was to develop a Web Service that would perform a Grouper query command - simply return whether or not a given netID was in a given group.

I used the Axis SOAP engine - see http://ws.apache.org/axis/. The installation guide for Axis describes how to add Axis to your application, which is what we decided to do here. I'd already created a directory in the grouper-ui tree for my site specific files, so I added the Axis jar files to that (webapp/cornell/java/ lib). I created my Web Service as a jws file (webapp/cornell/jws/ grouperTest.jws). I also had to grab the web.xml file for Axis - I placed that in webapp/cornell/xml. My additional-build.xml file had to be edited to include these directories in the build. (I found that the jws files had to end up in the "grouper" directory on the server.)

Here are my two additions to my additional-build.xml file (copying the Axis web.xml to the temp dir causes it to be merged with the Grouper web.xml file):
---------
<copy toDir="${temp.dir}" overwrite="true">
<fileset dir="../grouper-ui/webapp/cornell/xml">
<include name="**/*.xml"/>
</fileset>
</copy>

<echo message="Copying custom jws files to $ {webapp.folder}"/>
<copy todir="${webapp.folder}">
<fileset dir="../grouper-ui/webapp/cornell/jws">
</fileset>
</copy>
--------

My Web Service code is basically stolen from the contrib program grouperq (grouper-0.6/grouper/contrib/misc/grouperq/grouperq.java) but modified to take as input a subject and a group name, and return either true or false. I call the Web Service from a Coldfusion application.

All the modifications to the build could be done in our site-specific directory.

Joy