grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Grouper UI demo slides

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Grouper UI demo slides

  • From: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Grouper UI demo slides
  • Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 10:17:33 +0100

--On 08 April 2005 13:00 -0600 Tom Barton

At several points there is a section of the display that reads:

"At some future point, in a fully integrated system, you may be able to:

* Email group members
* Check mail archive
* View a group calendar / schedule a meeting
* View a group task list
* Manage portal channels for the group
* Create resources for the group e.g.
o a Blackboard course for a group, or create a group within an
existing Blackboard course
o a content area in a Content Management System
o a bulletin board or chat room
o a shared set of bookmarks / newsfeeds
"

Does or will the I2MI brand of the Grouper UI have some sort of
accomodation for integrating with other tools, as this suggests?
The UoB Grouper UI will extend the core I2MI brand using methods described in <http://www.bris.ac.uk/ips-projects/portal/groupsmanager/projectdoc/architecture/ui_architecture>. As we are using the Struts framework any site will be able to add new Actions and views which interact with their existing systems as they see fit.

At Bristol it is quite likely we will take advantage of single sign on to allow a user to seemlessly jump into another application dedicated to managing specific resources. Using this approach our 'extensions' would be limited to generating links to relevant applications and passing required parameters, however, there is nothing in the architecture to stop the core I2MI Grouper UI being used as a platform to build more sophisticated applications which are tightly integrated with local systems.

Tom

GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing wrote:
I had an action item from the last conference call to produce a slide
show that can be included in the next NMI release.

Here is a first cut. Click on a screen shot to move to the next slide.

<http://www.bris.ac.uk/ips-projects/portal/groupsmanager/projectdoc/demo
/index.html>

Gary