grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Re: navigating the membership graph

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Re: navigating the membership graph

  • From: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Re: navigating the membership graph
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 16:27:22 +0000

--On 12 January 2005 09:37 -0600 Tom Barton

Some of us were having an out of band discussion on UI capabilities
for listing a group's membership. We appear to have settled on the
UI allowing the user to select whether they want immediate only,
effective only, or immediate + effective memberships listed.

This gave rise to the first of 2 thoughts in my head. If a listed
member is another group, can it be presented as a clickable link
to take the user to the group summary page for that group? That
would take the user a step in the "hasMember" direction in the
graph of all groups in the registry.

This is straightforward to do, however, we would need to consider
navigation issues. In principle, you could get sidetracked into
looking at another group's membership, and then another's. We would
want a breadcrumb or some other device to allow the user to retrace
their steps.

Yes. And I wouldn't think of is as being necessarily side-tracked. This
would be a useful capability for reviewing the membership relations among
groups.

We also have to take into account privileges. I may have READ
privilege for group A but not VIEW privilege for a group B which is a
member of group A.

Wouldn't the API's filtering of result sets handle this?

If all result sets are automatically filtered then yes.

We probably need to come up with a form of words which explains that what some one sees may not be the entire membership, to go in help / faq text. I can imagine two people talking about group membership over the phone and seeing different things on their screen...

My second thought is that it would be useful to also be able to
navigate in the "isMemberOf" direction. That would mean that for
any subject (especially the 'group' subjectType) the UI should
list the groups of which that subject is a member, and there'd
again be the issue of selecting whether those memberships will be
immediate only, effective only, or immediate + effective.

Are such things already in the plans for the UI?

This hasn't been explicitly planned. It shouldn't be too difficult to
implement.

Privileges would come into play again.

By the way, I'm using the terms "hasMember" and "isMemberOf" quite
specifically. Cf.
> http://middleware.internet2.edu/dir/docs/draft-internet2-mace-dir-gro
> up-membership-latest.htm

Tom

GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing