games - [games] Puzzle solution

Subject: Games Entry

[games] Puzzle solution

  • From: Bill Owens <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [games] Puzzle solution
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2017 06:50:19 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23: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
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99

Raw result:

peoplealwaysmakethebestexploitsiveneverfoundithardtohackmostpeopleifyoulistentothemwatchthemtheirvulnerabilitiesarelikeaneonsignscrewedintotheirheadselliotaldersonmrrobot

With some appropriate punctuation inserted:

People always make the best exploits. I've never found it hard to hack most people. If you listen to them, watch them, their vulnerabilities are like a neon sign screwed into their head.” Elliot Alderson, Mr Robot

Full crypto text:

xrhtcreeenrwdnoxbuxfvfxxfceszgwbdrgimrvywhghzgltzqmsyngdublxgrsitrbjpbyeqfmiegsmprfarggabuxqkuibzinpervtjvemkviliexpzxitvrhrjvkgapkinrhbvghxyrmkprthjrpeqbmecqikabgqiesuwg

Key: internet (that’s EIGHT characters)

I cracked it by studying Vignere ciphers briefly, then assuming that the odd-length block was likely to be the last one. Paired with the known plaintext ‘robot’, it produced a key fragment ‘netin’. Looking at the length of the remaining blocks (165 characters) it seemed very likely that the key was 8 characters long and had ended in ‘net’, beginning again with ‘in’, and therefore the key was probably ‘internet’. I found that the crypto block beginning with ‘xrhtcr’ was produced when encrypting ‘people’ with ‘intern’, so that confirmed both the key length and the key. I proceeded to decode the rest of that block as ‘peoplealway’, which certainly had to proceed to ‘s’ in the next block; that block therefore had to begin with ‘w’ and added ‘smakethebes’(t). A quick Google search for that phrase found the quote from Mr. Robot, and I used the remainder of the plaintext to reassemble the blocks and decode the entire message.

Bill.

  • [games] Puzzle solution, Bill Owens, 10/17/2017