comanage-users - [comanage-users] COmanage Newsletter #25 - October 10, 2024

Subject: COmanage Users List

[comanage-users] COmanage Newsletter #25 - October 10, 2024

  • From: Laura Paglione <>
  • To: "" <>, "" <>, "" <>
  • Subject: [comanage-users] COmanage Newsletter #25 - October 10, 2024
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2024 08:00:00 -0400

View in a browser

NEWSLETTER

ISSUE #25 | October 10, 2024

RESOURCES: Case Studies, Training, & Presentations

Today, we share the first of a new series of case studies that describe how organizations are using COmanage Project tools to address their challenges and needs. This case study is about Wake Forest University, which has been working on a migration from Banner to Workday and is using COmanage Match and Registry as a seamless way to address needs that couldn’t easily be handled by their new tools. If you like what you read, you will have an opportunity to hear their story in person during the upcoming Technology Exchange conference in Boston this December. ALSO, training is back! Express your interest today to be included as the workshops are scheduled.

Open Office Hours - October 11

Do you have a question about deploying or configuring Registry or Match? Want to get some input on a solution architecture design? Want to hear how your colleagues in the community are solving problems similar to yours? Each month, we gather for the Open Office Hours, a platform where you can bring your topics for discussion to the call. No need to register or spin up a presentation (but feel free if it suits you!); just show up! A short conversation starter kicks off each session to help get the discussion started. This is a great opportunity to connect with your peers, share your experiences, and learn from others.

Friday, October 11
9:00 AM (San Francisco) | 12:00 PM (New York) | 17:00 (London)
(no registration necessary)

https://us06web.zoom.us/j/86226181846?pwd=T2VCIHTbdCEuiJyHF2avVuD0FwkZGe.1

Subscribe to COmanage Events

AppleGoogleOffice 365OutlookOutlook.comYahoo

or, https://www.addevent.com/calendar/Nr648428

2024 Topic Aperitif: COmanage Registry 5.0 Update

Much of the COmanage Project development team is focused on development toward the release of COmanage Registry 5.0. We will kick off each Office Hours in 2024 with a brief update on the latest developments.

Using COmanage tools to support a Banner to Workday Transition

In March 2024, Wake Forest University (WFU) began its production launch of COmanage Registry and Match as part of Project WakeDay, a university-wide migration from Ellucian Banner to Workday. During the evaluation and planning phases of the migration project, the team identified several functions that would be supported at different levels in Workday. The university had several goals for a solution:

  • Create a central repository for all individuals associated with Wake Forest University.

  • Efficiently match new individuals to existing ones across all populations to prevent duplication.

  • Centrally assign unique WFU IDs to all new individuals coming into the university.

  • Assign unique usernames for all individuals to be used for their email addresses.

Look at their case study to learn more about the WFU project, how they addressed their needs using COmanage tools, and the lessons they learned along the way.

Training is back! Interested?

Are you or someone on your team looking to increase your COmanage Registry or Match skills? Then, you’re not alone. There is interested in both classes, so we’re likely to run sessions in the next few weeks. If you would like to join, please reach out to Laura Paglione () or Jean Chorazyczewski () so we can include you in the scheduling.

COmanage Project News

Do you have news to share? Let us know on the #incommon-comanage slack channel or by !

COMANAGE AT TECHNOLOGY EXCHANGE

Don’t miss these COmanage-related sessions during Technology Exchange this December:

Drinking our own Champagne: How Internet2 itself is leveraging and improving the Trusted Access Platform

TUESDAY, Dec 10 9:00 AM | Add to calendar

In 2017, Internet2 implemented the InCommon Trusted Access Platform components, COmanage, Grouper, Shibboleth. Midpoint added to production in 2021. These components encompass the Internet2 Identity & Access Management platform, which enables the community to access resources and tools seamlessly using institutional, social, and guest logins. This platform has evolved iteratively since its deployment, with many lessons learned and with Internet2 providing feedback to the component architects to enhance and improve integration of the systems these tools support, including additional development work with Catalyst partners to fill needed gaps. Join us for a brief presentation on the history of the platform followed by a panel discussion of highlights of the features, improvements, and lessons learned as we ventured on a path to “drink our own champagne”.

COmanage Open Office Hours LIVE!

TUESDAY, Dec 10, 12:10 PM | Add to calendar

Each month, the COmanage project hosts Open Office Hours. This is a loosely structured, open forum for questions, discussion, and peer sharing among those using or interested in COmanage Registry and/or Match. A short conversation starter (Topic Aperitif) kicks off each session to help get the discussion started.

Enterprise Case Studies

WEDNESDAY, December 11, 1:40 PM | Add to calendar

In this session, we'll delve into case studies from Wake Forest University (WFU) and Southern Methodist University (SMU), demonstrating how they utilized COmanage Registry and Match. We'll explore how these tools addressed broader project objectives, the journey from tool selection to implementation, and valuable insights gained.

Case Studies:

  1. Banner to Workday Student Information System (SIS) Migration at Wake Forest University
    WFU faced a challenge during a recent SIS migration. They required a tool to manage the registry and matching functions previously covered by Banner but not by Workday. Their solution? COmanage Registry. It facilitated the assignment of university ID numbers and unique usernames for all campus systems. To handle duplicates, they used COmanage Match, allowing their admissions staff to identify and match new applicants from Slate with existing individuals in the Wake Forest population.

  2. Self-service registration for Continuing and Professional Education (CAPE) at Southern Methodist University
    While updating CAPE's registration processes, SMU needed to assign NetIDs to their guest population and manage information provisioning for student registration and learning systems access. The tool that rose to the task? COmanage Registry.

In addition to these launched projects, we'll also discuss future plans for utilizing these tools.

That’s it for this month’s newsletter. We hope to see you during our next open office hours!

About The COmanage Project

COmanage is an Open Source Project that is focused on streamlining digital lifecycle management for your populations. It consists of two tools: Registry and Match.

COmanage Registry is an identity registry with flexible enrollment and lifecycle management capabilities that helps you meet your identity management objectives using standardized tools and approaches. It can be used as a central person registry, a guest management system, or a collaboration hub for scholarly collaborations.

COmanage Match performs identity de-duplication in order to help minimize the creation of duplicate accounts for the same individual. It provides a heuristic-based system for matching identity records across multiple authoritative systems of record. Match can be used with Registry or as a standalone product complementary to your other tools.

Learn more about the project and its supporters at https://incommon.org/software/comanage/.

Q: Why did I get this awesome email?

A: Because you have subscribed to one of the COmanage mailing lists!
See the COmanage Email Lists wiki page for more details.

  • [comanage-users] COmanage Newsletter #25 - October 10, 2024, Laura Paglione, 10/10/2024