comanage-announce - [COmanage-Announce] COmanage Newsletter #13 - October 2022

Subject: COmanage News and Announcements

[COmanage-Announce] COmanage Newsletter #13 - October 2022

  • From: Laura Paglione <>
  • To: COmanage Dev <>, ,
  • Subject: [COmanage-Announce] COmanage Newsletter #13 - October 2022
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2022 08:00:00 -0400

View in a browser

NEWSLETTER

ISSUE #13 | October 25, 2022

Population Changes

How does your organization manage the IAM changes that come with the changes in roles, status, and affiliation that happen within your registered population? We invite you to take a look at the new wiki page in our COmanage Registry User Guide about offboarding and expiration policies. As you’re pondering this question, consider joining us for Open Office Hours a little earlier than usual (tomorrow!!) We will be welcoming the latest cohort of Registry training workshop participants as we pick topics to discuss in more detail. Finally, mark your calendar to join us at TechEx in December in Denver for Open Office Hours Live! Meet the development team in person and get a peak at the upcoming version of Registry. You won’t want to miss this one!!

Open Office Hours - October 27 (DIFFERENT TIME)

Do you have a question about deploying or configuring Registry or Match? Want to get some input on a solution architecture design? Want to hear how your colleagues in the community are solving problems similar to yours? Each month you can bring your topics for discussion to the call. No need to register or spin up a presentation (but feel free if it suits you!); just show up! A short conversation starter kicks off each session to help get the discussion started.

Thursday, October 27 at 3:00 PM (America/New York) (no registration necessary)
https://internet2.zoom.us/j/81517628065?pwd=YllHUEJnSTF5U0FNbDQvSEQ4c0tmdz09

IN YOUR TIMEZONE & link for your calendar

Topic Aperitif: Pick a Topic

When we teach the COmanage Registry workshop, the last session has participants voting on the topics that they would like to hear more about or were not covered during training. This month we invite the broader community to join in this tradition, both to hear the topics and to contribute your insights and experiences to the conversation. The topics that are up for consideration are:

  • Account Linking

  • Duplicate Management

  • Extending the COmanage Data Model

  • Validating Identifiers

  • Creating Message Templates

  • More about Plugins

  • Registry Jobs

  • Status Management

  • CO Services

  • Intro to the COmanage API

  • Overview of COmanage Match

COmanage Registry - Managing Offboarding

Eventually, people that you have registered in your COmanage Registry Collaboration/ Organization will no longer have a connection to part or all of your organization or collaboration. Offboarding is a process for updating these relationships as they evolve. COmanage Registry supports offboarding by allowing one to configure a set of Expiration Policies that manage a person's status and relationship to the representation of your Collaboration/Organization within Registry.

An increasing number of institutions have been exploring how they may leverage tools like Registry to support their Offboarding needs.

Read more about Offboarding in Registry on our new wiki page, Offboarding and Expiration Policies.

COmanage News

This newsletter section is designed to provide additional transparency on the day-to-day workings of COmanage. Have ideas about other information that we should include? Let us know on the #incommon-comanage slack channel or by !

UPCOMING OPEN OFFICE HOURS

The last Open Office Hours for 2022 (and its Topic Aperitifs) is on a different schedule:

  • Wed, 7 Dec 12:30 MT: Open Office Hours LIVE! at Technology Exchange. Topic: COmanage Registry 5.0.0 (PE) - an early preview!

Click the link above to see the meeting in your time zone and add it to your calendar

COMANAGE AT TECHNOLOGY EXCHANGE IN DECEMBER!

We are so excited that several sessions will focus COmanage tools at Internet2’s Technology EXchange this December 5-9 in Denver, CO, USA:

Open Office Hours LIVE!

December’s Topic Aperitif: COmanage Registry 5.0.0 (PE)

COmanage Registry is undergoing a significant update with version 5.0.0. With a substantial upgrade to the underlying development framework, CakePHP, we are taking the opportunity to review current Registry uses and adjust the code and features to better align with how the system is being used today. For this month’s “topic aperitif” we will discuss the expected changes, share some exciting functionality and interface updates, and talk about timing. We look forward to your questions, comments, and suggestions, both about this update and any other COmanage topics. This session will be offered in person during a TechEx lunch session as well as our traditional online offering.

Making it Sticky: Offering Shared Services via InCommon Glue

Have services you want to offer schools in your state or region, but it’s tough to manage the individual access details? Want to help your member schools access those shared services and the world of academic collaboration?

The community has news for you! Join us to hear OARnet’s experience this year and learn how the InCommon community has been working on several initiatives to help a diversity of organizations to participate. There are also education programs and partner-provided tools to help bridge the gap. Please join us to explore resources available to support your needs.

Hands-on Introduction to COmanage Match

In this tutorial, you will learn how to set up matching rules, how to use dictionaries to set up more sophisticated matches, and techniques for testing and refining your match rules. Each participant will need a device with web browser capability. Tutorial limit: 20 participants.

Bridging the Divide: Dynamic MFA Using PrivacyIDEA, SATOSA, and COmanage

A growing number of Service Providers (SPs) require their users to sign in using Multi-factor Authentication (MFA) to ensure that SP-provided resources are securely accessed. However, federated Identity Providers (IdPs) are still evolving in their support for MFA. A flexible bridge solution is needed.

To address this challenge, the NIAID Discovery and Collaboration Platform (NDCP) developed a Dynamic MFA solution that uses campus MFA assertions when available and NDCP MFA when not. This solution combines three powerful tools: 1) PrivacyIDEA for token management and runtime authentication, 2) COmanage for NDCP MFA registration when IdPs don't provide MFA, and 3) SATOSA for SAML assertion and flow management. MFA-secured authentication from IdPs can be used directly even if the IdP does not signal it, and can automatically adjust when an IdP starts signaling MFA.

Join us to learn why Dynamic MFA is essential for Virtual Organizations looking to leverage federated MFA, and how to make it work. Presenters will cover implementation and code release, the MFA deployment process, and challenges/lessons learned along the way.

ACAMP: BYOCT

And, of course, we hope to collaborate with you as you phoBring Your Own COmanage Topic (BYOCT) to Advanced CAMP - the unconference component of CAMP week at Technology EXchange.

That’s it for this month’s newsletter. Keep an eye out for our next one scheduled for late November. We hope to welcome you during our Open Office Hours on October 27th!

About The COmanage Project

COmanage is an Open Source Project that is focused on streamlining digital lifecycle management for your populations. It consists of two tools: Registry and Match.

COmanage Registry is an identity registry with flexible enrollment and lifecycle management capabilities that helps you meet your identity management objectives using standardized tools and approaches. It can be used as a central person registry, a guest management system, or a collaboration hub for scholarly collaborations.

COmanage Match performs identity de-duplication in order to help minimize the creation of duplicate accounts for the same individual. It provides a heuristic-based system for matching identity records across multiple authoritative systems of record. Match can be used with Registry or as a standalone product complementary to your other tools.

Learn more about the project and its supporters at https://incommon.org/software/comanage/.

Q: Why did I get this awesome email?

A: Because you have subscribed to one of the COmanage mailing lists!
See the COmanage Email Lists wiki page for more details.

  • [COmanage-Announce] COmanage Newsletter #13 - October 2022, Laura Paglione, 10/26/2022