bwctl-announce - Announce: bwctl 1.3 Release Candidate 2

Subject: bwctl (bandwidth control) announcements list.

Announce: bwctl 1.3 Release Candidate 2

  • From: Aaron Brown <>
  • To: , "" <>,
  • Subject: Announce: bwctl 1.3 Release Candidate 2
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 12:40:57 -0400

We have made a new release of bwctl available at:

http://e2epi.internet2.edu/bwctl/download/bwctl-1.3rc2.tar.gz

You can download RPMs for RHEL4 and RHEL5 at:

http://e2epi.internet2.edu/bwctl/download/bwctl-server-1.3rc2-1.i386.rpm
http://e2epi.internet2.edu/bwctl/download/bwctl-client-1.3rc2-1.i386.rpm
http://e2epi.internet2.edu/bwctl/download/bwctl-devel-1.3rc2-1.i386.rpm

This is a beta-test version, and is not recommended for general use yet. However, we're hoping that with some testing in the community this can be improved quickly and a production quality release can happen soon.

Changes since -rc1 include:

* Enable legacy clients to work with new servers
* Enable 1.3 clients to work with legacy servers
* Report on the server end what limits caused the failure
* Enable UDP bandwidth limits of higher than 4.3Gbps (Note, this
only works with 1.3 clients and servers).
* Numerous minor bugfixes and cleanups

Changes since 1.2a include:

* The documentation is not complete for the changes...
* -T option is used to specify the 'throughput' tool
use bwctl -h to see what is supported:
-T tool tool one of:
thrulay
nuttcp
iperf
* nuttcp has not been tested *at all* yet
* time/scheduling related changes to make it more robust
* better error handling of iperf children processes
* better error messages for failure conditions
* parallel streams (-P)
* csv output (for iperf. Use -yc)
* not yet tested for backwards compatibility with existing 1.2a daemons. (In fact, I'm fairly certain there is a small problem there right now.)

Known Issues:

* Nuttcp UDP support is disabled.
* Thrulay UDP support is known to be problematic. Email us if you'd like to help debug the problem.

More information on BWCTL can be found from http://e2epi.internet2.edu/bwctl/.

I would like invite anyone who is interested in installing/testing bwctl to join the bwctl-users email list. This is the main avenue to ask questions and to report any problems or feature requests. You can subscribe or change your subscription options for this list at:

https://mail.internet2.edu/wws/info/bwctl-users

  • Announce: bwctl 1.3 Release Candidate 2, Aaron Brown, 06/10/2008