2019-regional-principals-tempe - [2019-regional-principals-tempe] Jan 15-16 Tempe Principals Meeting: information for the meeting
Subject: 2019 Regional Principals Meeting Tempe
[2019-regional-principals-tempe] Jan 15-16 Tempe Principals Meeting: information for the meeting
- From: Linda Roos <>
- To: "" <>
- Subject: [2019-regional-principals-tempe] Jan 15-16 Tempe Principals Meeting: information for the meeting
- Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2019 10:15:32 +0000
- Accept-language: en-US
- Authentication-results: internet2.edu; dkim=none (message not signed) header.d=none;internet2.edu; dmarc=none action=none header.from=internet2.edu;
- Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:0
Begin forwarded message:
From: Linda Roos <>
Subject: [2019-regional-principals-tempe] Tempe Principals Meeting: information for the meeting
Date: January 7, 2019 at 4:38:26 PM EST
To: "" <>
Dear Connector and Network Member Principals,
We are looking forward to seeing you next week for our annual gathering to set direction for the upcoming year. The focus of the meeting will be to provide an update on the progress being made on the Next Generation Infrastructure (NGI) effort, and to seek your input on important decisions about the services we plan to offer with the new capabilities NGI may provide. Lastly, we will use the experiences of one campus’ migration to the cloud to discuss how the community might prepare to support these services across the ecosystem through automation and coordination.
We are pleased that all of the members of the NAOP NGI Subcommittee on Service Models will be in attendance. Our goal is to have these community members hear directly from our Connectors and Network Members about their views on the value of proposed future services and the service models we may employ to fund them. The Subcommittee is chaired by Dee Childs, who along with Jim Stewart will also serve as our co-chairs for the Tempe meeting.
In preparation for the meeting, we ask that you read the background information in the attached document before the meeting next week. We have made suggestions as to which is most important for you to preview.
The meeting is made up of three parts:
Tuesday morning: Internet2 Next Generation Infrastructure Project: Where We Are
During this portion of the meeting we will
· Review current NGI progress and financial assumptions (background is provided in the document called “2022” Community Infrastructure Services Capabilities & Planning Direction (Update) beginning on page 3; this paper should be reviewed.)
· Begin a conversation about how to introduce the new Next Generation Infrastructure (NGI) service capabilities and increase value received by the connectors. As background for these conversations, we have provided description of current network services (beginning on page 13) and created a set of potential service descriptions (beginning on page 23; please read one or two of the service descriptions, perhaps one current and one potential new service.)
Tuesday afternoon: Gathering Input from the Principals on Services
We will spend the afternoon talking about how to use these service definitions to create a service model that would address new fees going forward. We will present some service model options for our discussion (see document called Potential NGI Service Models beginning on page 30; we ask that you review this document to prepare for the discussion). We expect your engagement to provide input to the process to transition to one of more of these new service models.
Wednesday morning: Looking Forward with a Focus on Cloud, Automation and Ecosystem-wide Delivery
Finally, Wednesday morning will provide an opportunity to look forward to how we will provide these services across the ecosystem through automation and coordination of our services. We have asked a campus leader who led the transition from a campus data center environment to an environment entirely in the cloud to provide some concrete stories about the end-to-end challenges. We will end with a discussion about how we can work together in 2019 to build support for ecosystem wide needs.
The document can also be found in the box folder for the meeting: https://internet2.box.com/s/9gux1tlopkc6f8hkudkww08ixbw9fbzg
We are looking forward to seeing you next week. Please let me know what questions you have.
Linda—Linda RoosSr Director, State and Regional Networksinternet2desk phone: 812-558-0615
Tempe Principals' meeting packet_190107.pdf
Description: Tempe Principals' meeting packet_190107.pdf
- [2019-regional-principals-tempe] Tempe Principals Meeting: information for the meeting, Linda Roos, 01/07/2019
- [2019-regional-principals-tempe] Jan 15-16 Tempe Principals Meeting: information for the meeting, Linda Roos, 01/14/2019
Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.19.