2011sc - [2011sc] Internet2 at SC11

Subject: 2011SC

[2011sc] Internet2 at SC11

  • From: Internet2 Membership Communications <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [2011sc] Internet2 at SC11
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 16:48:53 -0500

Title: Internet2 at SC11

Internet2 Member Update

Dear Colleague,

Come see Internet2 at SC11 booth #1327! Internet2's booth is designed for collaboration and real-time problem solving--a welcoming space that we hope you will use for meaningful discussions with members of the R&E networking community and Internet2 staff.

  • Internet2 CEO Dave Lambert kicks things off Tuesday morning at 10:15AM with a welcoming remarks. Throughout the week, our booth will be staffed with our senior executive team, including Dave Lambert; Steve Wolff, CTO; Rob Vietzke, Executive Director of Network Service; and Ana Hunsinger, Executive Director of Member Relations and Communications. Each of them will be available to chat with you during the exhibition hours.

  • Excellent guest speakers from the Internet2 community will be in the Internet2 booth to discuss topics relevant to the work you are doing.
  • We challenge SC attendees to bring us their most difficult problem in networking or high performance computing. We're awarding an iPad to the top submission in our booth on Tuesday and Wednesday!

Ultimately, Internet2's participation in SC is in support of the important work that you do in our community. The activities in our booth are directly relevant to you and other Internet2 members attending SC; please stop by to help us work better with you.

Guest Speakers

In addition to advanced networking technology demonstrations, Internet2 is pleased to be featuring guest speakers from our community in our SC booth. These speakers will be discussing topics that we hope are relevant to you and the Internet2 community.

We are excited to welcome Artur Barczyk, California Institute of Technology/CERN; Michael Ernst, Brookhaven National Lab; Jerry Janssen, NOAA; Shawn McKee, University of Michigan; Harvey Newman, California Institute of Technology; and Francisco Yumiceva, Fermilab as speakers in our booth. Please visit the Internet2 website for the complete list of presentation topics and times.

Internet2 Community Solutions Challenge at SC11

Internet2 invites you to bring us your greatest challenge in networking or high performance computing so that we can work through it together. We are taking your challenges so seriously that we’re even awarding 2 iPads for the “best” challenges you bring to us! Maybe you’ll walk away with a solution. Maybe a connection to a working group that is exploring the same issue. Maybe an iPad. (Or, maybe all three!) Get the details and access the submission form here.

Demonstrations

Each year, Internet2 features several advanced networking demonstrations at SC that showcase some of new capabilities and applications under development in collaboration with the community.

100G Network and Real-Time Network Visualization
Internet2 is actively working to upgrade the Internet2 Network optical and IP infrastructure to increase the available bandwidth to the R&E community. The end goal is to put a nationwide 100Gbps interconnected IP and optical network in place by mid-2012. This talk will focus on a description of the network upgrade and an update on implementation progress. This demo also features WorldView, an interactive three-dimensional, real-time network visualization system that makes the complex world of network data easily accessible. Developed by the Indiana University Global Research Network Operations Center (GlobalNOC), WorldView meets needs no existing tool could provide, in a system that is easy-to-use for network engineers and non-experts alike.

Enabling Large Scale Science: DYNES/SRS
Internet2, in collaboration with partners the California Institute of Technology, the University of Michigan and Vanderbilt University, will demonstrate the advanced capabilities of the DYNES cyber-instrument. This nationwide project, funded by the NSF’s MRI program (grant number 0958998), is currently being deployed at U.S. universities and regional networks, and consists of hardware and software that utilize dynamic networking infrastructure. This framework aims to support large, long-distance scientific data flows in the LHC, other leading programs in data intensive science (such as LIGO, Virtual Observatory, and other large-scale sky surveys), and the broader scientific community. Demonstrations will show the reach and capabilities of this instrument across the country, and ongoing efforts to peer the service with similar capabilities in South America and Europe through the NSF IRNC program. The Internet2 ION network currently serves as the backbone interconnect for DYNES enabled regionals and universities. The Internet2 SCinet Research Sandbox (SRS) entry shows how DYNES-enabled research will benefit by using software defined networking (SDN) technologies such as OpenFlow in the future.

Distributing Physics Data Globally: Support for LHC
In a joint demonstration, Internet2 and GÉANT will illustrate Layer 2 transatlantic data traffic flow in support of the LHC project. Data movement will be shown across transatlantic links as well as participating end sites in the U.S. and Europe. This innovative effort will show dedicated network overlays for the particle physics community.

Software Defined Networks for Data Exchange Challenges: NDDI/OS3E
Software defined networking (SDN) will allow new solutions to the data exchange challenges that plague astronomers, climatologists, medical researchers, physicists and others whose work depends on massive data files. Internet2, with its partners Indiana University and the Clean Slate Program at Stanford University, will demonstrate a new suite of services to support global research, and bolster U.S. research competitiveness. The goal of the demo is to highlight OS3E’s interdomain capability based on the IDCP by peering OS3E with Internet2 ION and provisioning a VLAN across both domains, using OS3E’s user interface. As part of this demo we will also create and test a backup path for the segment of the VLAN which traverses the OS3E domain using the same UI used to create the interdomain VLAN. Focus will be on ease of use, and ease of service management. For the demo itself, we will employ measurement test points at each end to measure throughput and collect latency data. We will use the OS3E UI to observe VLAN use patterns during the demo.

SCinet Participation

Internet2 makes a significant contribution to SCinet, the network for demonstrations at SC, every year. This year, Internet2 is staffing the leadership of SCinet, including the SCinet Chair, Jeff Boote; a SCinet Vice Chair, Matt Zekauskas; and the SCinet Measurement chair, Aaron Brown. Internet2 and ESnet are providing connections to the new 100 Gigabit national infrastructure to the conference, which will be time-shared to support 8 demonstrations. In addition, the Internet2 Network will be providing four other 10G circuits, ESnet will provide three 10G circuits, and TR-CPS will provide some commodity connectivity.

  • [2011sc] Internet2 at SC11, Internet2 Membership Communications, 11/10/2011