shibboleth-dev - Re: [Shib-Dev] Metadata for Consent

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: [Shib-Dev] Metadata for Consent

  • From: Nate Klingenstein <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [Shib-Dev] Metadata for Consent
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 06:57:58 +0000

Obviously it would've been nice to have gotten this feedback in sooner, but it only landed in my own hands now.

I don't think "Terms of Use" justifies a rev of the spec. Doesn't seem
like "Terms of Use" is substantially different than a Privacy
Statement (<mdui:PrivacyStatementURL>). If you really feel like you
need "Terms of Use," why not just add it as an extension of the
<mdui:UIInfo> element?

It's not substantially different, which is why I preferred the former term as the more general choice. But since the draft is already at CD, I agree that it's probably more trouble than it's worth. I'll advise them to just interpret <mdui:PrivacyStatementURL> broadly.

If I understand correctly, you want a language-specific description
for each attribute? Well, there's no good way to do that as others
have already pointed out, but I think it's a bad idea anyway. If you
have to write words on the user interface to explain to the user
what's going on, then it's not going to work. Have we learned nothing
all these years of building discovery interfaces? (sorry :)

Their intent is to build an interface that supports the optionality of <md:RequestedAttribute> in consent, and "isRequired='false'" is almost impossible to interpret without explanatory text. It may be that the optionality was a bad idea in the first place, but without that or an <OR>/policy logic, I don't see how you would support "a persistent, non-reassigned identifier".

I'll suggest they use localized <md:ServiceDescription> elements as per Scott's suggestion and if I get further pushback, I'll bring it here.

The suggestion to add OR logic to SP attribute requirements is a good
one that's sorely needed, but I suggested that six months ago and got
strong pushback. The argument against was that that feature
essentially requires a rewrite of <md:AttributeConsumingService> and I
think that's still a correct assessment. If you do that, however, I'd
like to add my favorite use case for consideration: "a persistent,
non-reassigned identifier."

All of this is coming late and at the last minute. Within the InCommon
federation, we have set a plan in motion to rollout <mdui:UIInfo> and
<md:AttributeConsumingService> by April 2011. The latter can't be
extended but the former can. In either case, anything that the
community decides to do will not affect the work we have planned. If
you modify the SAML V2.0 Metadata Extensions for Login and Discovery
User Interface, however, you're gonna set back consent by at least six
months, not just within InCommon, but worldwide.

Tom