i2-news - [I2-NEWS] Internet2 Helps New England Telehealth Consortium and the North Carolina TeleHealth Network Provide Telehealth and Telemedicine Services To Nearly 700 Health Organizations

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

  • From: Todd Sedmak <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [I2-NEWS] Internet2 Helps New England Telehealth Consortium and the North Carolina TeleHealth Network Provide Telehealth and Telemedicine Services To Nearly 700 Health Organizations
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 09:50:40 -0400 (EDT)

Internet2 Helps New England Telehealth Consortium and the North Carolina
TeleHealth Network Provide Telehealth and Telemedicine Services
To Nearly 700 Health Organizations

Nationwide 100G Network Works with Regional Networks to Provide Advanced
Features

Ann Arbor, Mich.—(Sept. 12, 2012)—Internet2, operator of the nation’s
fastest, coast-to-coast research and education network, announced today two
new network agreements to support the deployment of advanced health
information technologies in communities in New England and North Carolina.

Internet2’s agreements with the New England Telehealth Consortium and the
North Carolina TeleHealth Network, with the help of regional operating
networks, the North Carolina Research and Education Network (NCREN) and
Northern Crossroads (NoX) in New England, will facilitate the adoption of
telemedicine solutions, including remote medical diagnostics, and will
facilitate faster medical imaging sharing among connected health network
facilities.

Internet2, through its U.S. Unified Community Anchor Network (U.S. UCAN)
healthcare initiative, works with healthcare institutions and telehealth
network providers throughout the nation to promote and enable e-healthcare
and networking solutions.

The New England Telehealth Consortium and the North Carolina TeleHealth
Network are Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Rural Health Care Pilot
Program recipients. These two telehealth organizations recently agreed to
connect to the Internet2 Network to benefit nearly 700 health organizations
in Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont and North Carolina. To date, nearly 1,400
health organizations are connected to the Internet2 Network as a result of
funding from the FCC Rural Health Care Pilot Program.

Other FCC Rural Health Care Pilot Program health networks connected to the
Internet2 Network include: Iowa Health System, St. Joseph’s Hospital in
Wisconsin, Palmetto State Providers Network in South Carolina, the Colorado
Telehealth Network, and the California Telehealth Network.

The FCC’s Rural Health Care Pilot Program helps public and non-profit health
care providers deploy state- and region-wide broadband networks to provide
telehealth and telemedicine services throughout the nation. Internet2 works
in cooperation with regional network connectors to support pilot participants.

The Internet2 Network is the national high-performance network connecting
America’s colleges and universities to research and education collaborators
worldwide. Internet2 is nearly complete with its network upgrade to 100
Gigabit Ethernet technologies and 8.8 Terabit per second capacity to support
emerging bandwidth needs in research and education. The network upgrade also
enables advanced networking features via Internet2’s U.S. UCAN effort for
more than 200,000 of the country’s essential community anchor institutions
including libraries, health institutions, K-12 schools, community colleges,
public safety organizations, and other public institutions.

Executive Quotes:

Brian Thibeau, president, New England Telehealth Consortium
"The New England Telehealth Consortium is excited about the opportunity to
connect our 400 plus Northern New England health care provider network with
Internet2. This interconnectivity will provide NETC participants with access
to unique resources, an enhanced ability for collaboration, and cost
effective alternatives for providing clinical care and consultation."

Dr. William F. Pilkington, chief executive officer, Cabarrus Health Alliance
"The North Carolina TeleHealth Network already supports broadband needs for
about 60 percent of major telehealth programs in North Carolina. In the next
phase of work we seek to exploit NCTN's connectivity to Internet2 to further
the value and scope of telehealth programs for North Carolina's citizens."

H. David Lambert, president and chief executive officer, Internet2
“In concert with our regional network partners, NCREN and NoX, we are pleased
to be an integral part in helping the New England Telehealth Consortium and
the North Carolina TeleHealth Network achieve their vision to provide
advanced telehealth services to citizens and communities in North Carolina
and throughout New England. Providing connectivity services to FCC Rural
Health Care Pilot Program recipients is a shining example of how Internet2
plans to leverage its network and services through our U.S. UCAN initiative
to support the advanced networking needs of community anchor institutions.”

About Internet2

Internet2® is a member-owned advanced technology community founded by the
nation's leading higher education institutions in 1996. Internet2 provides a
collaborative environment for U.S. research and education organizations to
solve common technology challenges, and to develop innovative solutions in
support of their educational, research, and community service missions. For
more information, visit www.internet2.edu.

For media assistance, contact Todd Sedmak at 202-331-5373 or
.

###

Visit our website: www.internet2.edu
Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/internet2
Become a Fan on Facebook: www.internet2.edu/facebook

  • [I2-NEWS] Internet2 Helps New England Telehealth Consortium and the North Carolina TeleHealth Network Provide Telehealth and Telemedicine Services To Nearly 700 Health Organizations, Todd Sedmak, 09/12/2012