i2-news - I2-NEWS: Next Generation Internet Protocol Performance Records Announced at Internet2 Meeting

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

I2-NEWS: Next Generation Internet Protocol Performance Records Announced at Internet2 Meeting

  • From: Greg Wood <>
  • To:
  • Subject: I2-NEWS: Next Generation Internet Protocol Performance Records Announced at Internet2 Meeting
  • Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 14:30:36 -0800

NEXT GENERATION INTERNET PROTOCOL PERFORMANCE RECORDS ANNOUNCED AT INTERNET2 MEETING

ARNES, DANTE and RedIRIS team make greater than 100-fold leap in IPv6 Internet2 Land Speed Record

Los Angeles, California--October 30, 2002-- An international team has set a new Internet2 Land Speed Record using the next generation Internet protocol by transferring the equivalent of the entire contents of a CD-ROM over more than 9000 miles (14,800 km) of network in less than 17 seconds. The transfer was accomplished at an average speed of 348.22 megabits per second, more than 6000 times faster than a typical computer modem.

ARNES (the academic and research network of Slovenia), RedIRIS (Spain's national research network), and DANTE (the pan-European advanced research and education networking organization) set the new Internet2 Land Speed Record (I2-LSR) of 5154 terabit-meters per second on October 9, 2002 as part of IPv6 deployment on GEANT, the pan-European research network.

"This is an achievement we can be proud of," said Avgust Jauk, Technical Director of ARNES. "Not only that we have a very high speed pan-European research network, GEANT, but we have also proven how effectively IPv6 can be used on the European research infrastructure."

"This successful demonstration shows that our network backbones are prepared to support native IPv6 in dual stack mode, which will be fully deployed in the near future,”said Esther Robles, Network Manager for RedIRIS. “Now we should work to spread this deployment to the campuses of our universities and research centers, and encourage the use and deployment of native IPv6 applications."

"This work carried out with ARNES and RedIRIS is a big step towards GÉANT providing full production support for native IPv6 in dual stack mode," said Roberto Sabatino, Chief Technical Officer at DANTE. "It is an example of the continuous co-operation amongst European Research & Education networks for the development of next generation services."

This current record, set in the single stream IPv6 category, surpasses a previous mark of 1215 terabit-meters per second set by the same team on September 27, 2002.

"Once again, the ARNES, DANTE, RedIRIS team has demonstrated that a world class global IPv6 network exists and can support the demands of today's high performance applications," said Rich Carlson, Network Research Scientist at Argonne National Laboratory, and Chair of the I2-LSR judging panel.

Both this mark, as well as the first I2-LSR IPv6 mark set by a team from the Oregon Gigapop, NYSERNet and the University of Oregon on August 22, were recognized today at an awards ceremony as part of the Fall 2002 Internet2 Member Meeting.

Internet2 Land Speed Record entries are judged on a combination of how much bandwidth they use and how much distance they cover end-to-end, using standard Internet (TCP/IP) protocols. The Internet2 Land Speed Record is an open and ongoing competition. Details of the winning entries, complete rules, submission guidelines and additional details are available at:
http://www.internet2.edu/lsr/

About ARNES
ARNES operates and develops the national research and education network of Slovenia. It has provided national and international connectivity and advanced services to universities, research institutions, secondary and primary schools, libraries and cultural institutions since 1992. For more information, see: http://www.arnes.si/

About DANTE
DANTE, a Cambridge, England-based organisation set up to build and manage advanced network services for the European research and education community, is the co-ordinating partner of the GÉANT consortium and responsible for the construction of GÉANT. GÉANT, the pan-European multi-gigabit research network, enables European scientists to compete on an international stage by providing them with a world-class backbone that offers the bandwidth and the Quality of Service required for research and development activities at this level. It represents the basis for the introduction of "virtual laboratories" and "virtual institutes" in Europe. For more information about DANTE, see:
http://www.dante.net/

About RedIRIS
RedIRIS is the Spanish National Academic and Research Network, funded by the National Plan for R&D and is at present managed by the Scientific Research Council (Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas). Since 1988, RedIRIS has provided network infrastructure to Spanish R&D institutions. The number of institutions connected - mainly universities and R&D centres – has increased continuously and now stands at about 250. The services offered by RedIRIS to the Spanish Academic and Research Community require the support of an advanced infrastructure of transport, technologically adapted to the needs of the connected centres. These services are provided in collaboration with other academic networks in Europe and the US through the pan-European network GÉANT. For more information, visit http://www.rediris.es

About Internet2(R)
Led by over 200 US universities, working with industry and government, Internet2 is developing and deploying advanced network applications and technologies for research and higher education, accelerating the creation of tomorrow's Internet. Internet2 recreates the partnerships among academia, industry, and government that helped foster today's Internet in its infancy. For more information about Internet2, see:
http://www.internet2.edu/

Contacts:

ARNES
Avgust Jauk

+386-1-479-8877

DANTE
Dale Robertson, Public Relations Manager

+44 1223 302992

RedIRIS
María Bolado Relations Manager
Tel +34 91 585 5150